Monday, March 12, 2007

Dick Allwright's Exploratory Practice

What a wonderful distraction! I first came into contact with Allwright's ideas when researching the topic of classroom interaction for my first essay. He immediately struck me as being practical, wise and accessible in his ideas. I have since read various things he has written about Exploratory Practice (EP) and always look forward to bumping into him again.

Serendipitously, through trying to buy some used books online, I was introduced to Jane Rose, a recent Bham grad, who did her distinction level thesis on EP. One e-mail led to another and I just finished reading her wonderful thesis reflecting her research in an EFL situation in Finland.

I may have been scared to death of EP at the start of my teaching career, but the older/more experienced I get, the more interesting it looks. I hesitate to try to describe it here and now, but encourage anyone who is interested in better understanding 'life in the classroom' to check it out.

Many thanks to Marco Polo for this updated link:
http://www.letras.puc-rio.br/epcentre/

Cheers,

Steve

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I didn't know about this, yet EP is what I have been doing for the last few years. The link is outdated, perhaps this one is better. The only thing I know of Dick Allwright's is his classic article entitled "Why Don't Learners Learn What Teachers Teach?"