Sunday, March 4, 2007

Essay time...

The Birmingham MA TEFL is a distance course consisting of six modules and a thesis (six 4000 word essays and a 12,000 word thesis). Each module contains two topics. The current module is LEXIS, then SYLLABUS & MATERIALS. We read like hell for as long as it takes and then have to crank out a 4000 word essay answering one of about 10 preset questions. The module lasts for 4 months and it feels like I'm reading for 3 months and then writing for the last month.

I've read a great deal (maybe even too much) and everything is still sifting its way to the bottom of my brain. It is really quite an unreasonable task to try and process all of this and come up with anything meaningful in such a short time, isn't it!

I was all set to offer up my own brave new world of TBL for my JSHS situation and now realize that TBL is pretty much dead according to many, even though Ellis, Willis, J. and Willis, D. may not admit it yet. I don't think they are entirely wrong in their ideas, just off track somewhat. I'll hopefully explain why in my essay. If you can't wait, go google Michael Swan, among others.

I'm hoping I can somehow salvage some new perspective/approach to the essay before I crash and burn at the end of March. Last week, one of our study group, Anthony, offered up his outline and sat in the online skype "hotseat" while we all attacked him (lovingly). At the end of an hour, he said that he now knew what he wanted to write in his essay, and felt ready to get writing/editing. It's my turn tomorrow evening and I hope my experience will be equally as clarifying. God knows when I'll send a draft to my tutor, but my classes ended last Friday, so I'll have more daytime hours to deal with my essay angst.

Still cheerful,

Steve

No comments: